Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fall Back! (oldie but goodie)


I never claimed to be a reflection of perfection
So please don’t set out on a mission
To find fault with me
Don’t find reasons to discredit me
Edit my words and actions
To what you perceive them to be
Blame me when you find yourself
Falling too fast too soon
Singing that same tune bout
How the roles seem reversed
And in this relationship
I’m the one playing the dude
Assume not that all happenings
Are a direct result of my past experiences
I bounce back fast!
Believe me this
House of cards is not made of stone
There’s no super glue holding this structure together
Don’t get me wrong
I’m not light as a feather but
I go through ups and downs
I tear, bend, break, and crack
And at the end of the day
I stand on my own two feet
And put it all back
This wasn’t a misdeal or a gotcha gotcha
I laid it out straight for you
You were well informed
I dealt you the plain truth
I’ve been the only face card
In this deck for longer than I can recall
So yes, on occasion you will hit a brick wall
But even the highest and mightiest
Have been known to fall
I just choose to do it discretely
For only my eyes to see
So don’t be deceived by your
Notions that I am affected by nothing
That I feel nothing
Don’t poke and prod to generate a reaction
And pass judgment when it isn’t even a fraction
Of what you expected it to be
Don’t try to force me out
Of my comfort zone
Fill your mind with doubt
Constantly comparing your feelings to mine
I move at my own pace
I’m the winner of my own race
They say slow and steady always wins
And the prize is my heart
But if you aren’t ready to receive it
Fall back!
Let someone else take the lead

No comments:

Post a Comment